Opal Specimens – Hyalite (Opal-AN)
Gorgeous specimen pieces of Hyalite opal.
£2.95 – £45.00
|Buy 5-9 pieces for||£2.66-£40.50|
|Buy 10-19 pieces for||£2.51-£38.25|
|Buy 20+ pieces for||£2.36-£36.00|
Hyalite Opal Specimens
Available in a few different sizes, these are specimens of distinctive Hyalite Opal.
It has an interesting glassy appearance - almost like someone has melted glass onto a matrix. Because of this, it is sometimes confused with glass, fake opal, or resin.
Our current stock is from the new find at San Luis Potosí and is some of the most gemmy Hyalite we've ever had in stock - more pictures are on the way shortly as this is seriously good quality stock.
- Specimens from the find at San luis Potosí, Mexico, sold in an A and B grade and various sizes.
- #1 - 19x18.3x9.2MM - an interesting piece with needle like inclusions, possibly Tourmaline or Apatite or a similar mineral.
- #2 - 26.2x22.5x16MM - an almost water clear piece with strong green fluorescence.
- #3 - 25.2x16.9x15.2MM - honestly looks a bit like a melted brain. It has some residue or stone in the bottom of the dips in the surface which might be removable.
- #4 - 26.8x15.4x9.6MM - a few small inclusions and some dirt but otherwise glassy clear.
- #5 - 27.7x15.8x7.75MM - a small piece with some inclusions and dirt but a strong fluorescence.
- #6 - 21.5x20.6x20.4MM - another with some residue or stone in the bottom of the dips in the surface which might be removable.
- #7 - 22.3x19.65x13MM - a piece for those who like inclusions - it has some mossy looking inclusions, possibly chlorite.
- #8 - 30.1x29x20.1MM - a nice clear/cloudy piece with some matrix to the base.
- #9 - 26x22.5x17.7MM - another with some residue or stone in the bottom of the dips in the surface which might be removable.
- #10 - 30x25.6x25MM - a nice clear piece which does have some dirt/buildup and unfortunately some iron staining under the surface.
- #11 - 29x23.8x21.2MM - a reasonably clear piece with some inclusions and imperfections.
- #12 - 38x23.5x18MM - almost like a double brain. Exceptional piece which unfortunately has some staining under the surface and some dirt buildup.
- #13 - 36.2x27.6x18.9MM - another with some residue or stone in the bottom of the dips in the surface which might be removable.
- #14 - 31.5x25x16MM - a nice oddball piece with some minor staining and inclusions.
- #15 - 32x26.2x15.6MM - a very gemmy piece with some minor dirt.
These pieces do have a strong fluorescence under UV light, which is what tends to be popular with the collectors of this type of Opal.
In some rare cases these specimens do exhibit play of colour, too. The main sources of this type of Opal are the eastern United States, and eastern Europe, with some exceptional quality pieces found in the Czech Republic.
Hyalite is sometimes also known as 'water Opal', 'jalite' and 'Mullers glass'.
The pictures you see here are representative of the products and are usually not the exact item you will receive. Where various grades are available we do try to photograph each grade - but some photographs are still on their way!
Frequently asked questions and delivery information
How do we grade stones?
There is no overall universal grading system for the majority of our products. As such, the grades we use are internal only. They simply refer to higher and lower qualities, but they may be entirely different grades to other websites. C grade pieces are of lower quality than B grade, which is lower than A grade.
How does our ordering and delivery process work?
You place an order via the website. When it’s been picked and packed, your order will be marked as completed and dropped off at our local post office. We have an account with the post office called a “Drop and Go” account, which allows the post office staff to process our parcels when they have free time, rather than me queuing up and delaying everyone else.
I get tracking information etc online when this has been completed. I typically do not send tracking information to customers unless they request it – but if you’ve requested tracked postage, it has been sent tracked! If you have any worries or concerns about your parcel being delayed please feel free to get in touch and I’ll send the tracking info over! We also get delivery confirmations for parcels over 25MM thick by default.
How do international orders work?
After Brexit, with the UK leaving the European Union, certain things have changed with regards to international orders. European Union customers will now likely be liable to pay the same amount of import VAT as any other international customers. You will be responsible for any customs and import fees.
I’d like to return my order for a refund.
No problem at all – just get in touch and we’ll arrange it. You can read our full returns policy here.
What payment methods do you accept?
I can accept Paypal, Stripe, cheque, and direct bank transfers. Paypal and Stripe will both allow you to pay with credit and debit cards.