Park Slip Colliery
Cefn Cribwr, Bridgend, Wales, UK
The Park Slip Colliery is a former opencast coal mine worked from the 1960s to 1990s, which replaced the earlier Parc Slip mine. It is now a nature reserve.
The name could cause a little confusion here – the Parc Slip mine was opened in the 1860s and worked by various companies until it closed in 1904.
The Park Slip Colliery was an open cast mine opened over the older mine – the open cast mine was worked from the 1960s until the 1990s, when it was used as a land reclamation scheme until 2008. It is now completely reclaimed as a nature reserve.
In 1892 a disaster at the site claimed the lives of 112 men and boys. There is a reasonably extensive amount of information here.
Possible names for this site include:
- Parc Slip mine
- Parc Slip colliery
- Park Slip colliery
- Margam opencast mine
Further reading
- https://www.mindat.org/loc-384928.html
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_Slip_Colliery
- https://welshcoalmines.co.uk/GlamWest/ParkSlip.htm
- https://nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/swales/ogmore/park-slip-colliery-tondu-bridgend/
If you are interested in other local specimens, we may have stock from the following locales:
Bridgend, WalesAlternately, try browsing by county: • Bridgend • Caerphilly • Cardiff • Ceredigion • Clwyd • Conwy • Gwynedd • Isle of Anglesey • Powys • Rhondda Cynon Taf • Vale of Glamorgan •
For the rest of our stock from the entire UK, see below.
United Kingdom
Fossils from the United Kingdom - Minerals from the United Kingdom